The winning image was entitled 'Breech! by Benjamin Sullivan, the accompanying text emphasized how the image was likened by the The child had been born by breech birth which gave the mother a special empathy with the child.
There were several other images that I enjoyed studying including one which was, in fact, a mirror reflecting the gallery in front of the frame. Within the frame there was a painting of the back of a bald headed man just standing central to the image. As people walked by or stood contemplating the image, they became part of the image too. This meant that the image itself was constantly changing as people passed by throughout the day.
Whilst I stood contemplating the image below of Jessica I was approached by one of the gallery attendants who asked why I was taking time to look at this image.
I was informed that the artist painted it in her bedroom at home, as she "wanted the patterned wallpaper to provide an interesting decorative backdrop". The artist made sketches and reference photographs before completing the portrait in her studio over the next five months. The whole image had a restful quality about it which was missing in several of the other images on display.
We talked about the following image and its body language between the two subjects. I felt it gave an uneasy atmosphere to the whole picture but on further research was in fact the complete opposite to what was painted by the artist Carol Ann Duffy. According to the artist the three friends had spent the afternoon of the sitting laughing, talking, composing poetry and painting in perfect harmony.
I really enjoyed my visid as I was able to walk round the whole gallery in peace. I would like to commend the RAMM though as they make provision for all ages to enjoy art both on their walls and being able to create their own work. On my walk round the museum later I was able to view a group of children creating pictures from autumn leaves and coloured paints and crayons.
The particpants seemed completely relaxed and able to enjoy some creative time during the half term holiday. I was able to watch them from the gallery above and catch their antics without interruption.






No comments:
Post a Comment